Sunday night I decided to make yet another Crockpot favorite!! I think this recipe is perfect for a cold night in. The best part is, it is simple and makes enough for leftovers!!! The chicken thighs add a juicier flavor, but you can make it with chicken breast too.
Crock Pot Peasant Stew
-adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 chicken thighs skinned ( I used 3 chicken thighs and 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeño peppers and spices, undrained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream ore Greek yogurt
Combine cumin, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over chicken. Brown chicken in a skillet on all sides, about 3 minutes.
Place chicken in crock pot stir in onion, tomatoes,beans and chiles.
Cook on low for 5-6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
Place 1 chicken thigh in each of 6 soup bowls; ladle 1 1/4 cups stew into each bowl. Top each serving with 2 teaspoons cilantro and 2 teaspoons sour cream or Greek Yogurt.
You must try this!!!