The family and I had an amazing pre-holiday weekend get-away! Full post to come this week, but I had to share one of the best egg casseroles that I have ever made. The best part about it, it’s a lot healthier than the normal egg casseroles put there This would be perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning!
A Healthy Sweet Potato, Veggie and Egg Casserole
Adapted from Kim’s Healthy Eats
- 3 sweet potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bag of fajita mixed veggies (or 1 red and green bell pepper chopped)
- 1 package of sliced portabella mushrooms
- 1 package of baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 eggs
- Preheat oven to 4oo degrees.
- Line baking sheet in a single layer with thinly sliced potatoes. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Lightly spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread roasted potatoes into baking dish.
- Lower oven temp to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet sauté onions and peppers until tender. Remove from heat and spread on top of potatoes in casserole dish. Add mushrooms to skillet and sauté until tender about 3 minutes and add to casserole dish.
- Finally sauté fresh spinach in the same skillet with 1 tablespoon of water until wilted. About 3 minutes and add to casserole dish.
- In a bowl beat eggs and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixed eggs over veggies in casserole dish and top with cheese.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until eggs are firmly cooked and golden brown.