I am excited to share some more running tips with all of you wonderful friends. Some of these tips I have given in the past, but now that I have been running for a bit longer I thought it was about time I updated and came up with some fresh new tips and tricks for runners! I thought I would start with some beginner tips that can be helpful for new runners, or maybe some advanced runners….you never know!
Being a runner all my life, I sometimes forget how hard it can be to start running later in life. It can be done with some fun tips and honestly one of the biggest things it takes more than shoes or a Garmin is discipline. Face it, if it was easy every one would do it!
WHAT TO WEAR:
- Wear spandex shorts under your regular running shorts so you don’t chafe “down there.” Or maybe even a running skirt, I love my LuLu running skirt! If you don’t where spandex, then make sure to BODY GLIDE UP!
- Cotton socks will only lead to blisters; invest in socks designed for running. I love my Asics socks!!!
- A good sports bra will go a LONG WAY! I am a big fan of Champion Sports Bras, and if you need more support the Ta Ta Tamer by Lululemon works wonders!
- Purchase new running clothes at the end of each season. New running clothes always get me motivated to get out there.
- Get GOOD shoes. Do not settle on cheap shoes just for the price. Go to a running store where they will fit you in the right shoe for you, I promise you it is worth every penny!
- Join a local running group. You can heck with your local running store fitness center and/or recreation department to find one. This will help to keep you motivated.
- Find a friend to run with. Knowing that they will be waiting for you at 5am will help to get your butt out of bed!
- Sign up for a race or set a goal! A race is a great way to keep going.
- Remember you won’t feel amazing on every run. Every runner has highs and lows. Even a bad run is better then no run at all.
- It gets easier, promise!
- Start a running blog and read other running blogs to help you stay motivated.
- Add some fun music to your phone to help you push through those tough days.
- Join Nike Run, a great App for your phone to keep track of distance and time.
- HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE. Whether it be cold or hot always drink lot of water.
- On long runs make sure to eat something every hour. I like Shock Blocks and Guu. But I am not partial to any one brand.
- About 30 minutes to an hour before your run eat a piece of toast with peanut butter and honey or a banana.
- A cup of coffee is not a bad idea before a run (30 minutes before) but for some people it hurts their stomach. Listen to your body.
- To help with recover remember to eat and drink within the hour immediately after you run. A protein shake is a great recovery meal.
- Never eat something NEW before a race!
Question: What are some your tips for beginner runners?