Once a month, I have decided to make our Thursday Night Group a big pot of soup! Little do they know all the soups I have made have been pretty darn healthy. Last month I made a butternut squash soup and it was a big hit! This month I decided to give Chicken Tortilla Soup a try, but make it a little bit healthier 🙂
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1-2 lb Shredded cooked chicken (cooked my chicken the night before in the crock pot for 4 hours on high and took out and shredded)
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 (10oz) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (4oz) can chopped green chili peppers
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup of chopped celery (optional)
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onions, green chilies, and garlic into a slow cooker.
- 2. Pour chicken broth and water.
- 3. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- 4. Stir in corn and cilantro.
- 5. Cover and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- 6. Garnish with fresh tortilla strips or tortilla chips.