Being a runner all my life, I sometimes forget how hard it can be to start running later in life. It can be done with some fun tips and honestly it takes discipline. Face it, if it was easy every one would do it!
WHAT TO WEAR:
- Wear spandex shorts under your regular running shorts so you don’t chafe “down there.” If you don’t where spandex, then make sure to Vaseline UP!
- Cotton socks will only lead to blisters; invest in socks designed for running. I love my Asics socks!!!
- A good sports bra will go a LONG WAY! .
- Purchase new running clothes at the end of each season. New running clothes always get me motivated to get out there.
- Get GOOD shoes. Do not settle on cheap shoes just for the price. Go to a running store where they will fit you in the right shoe for you, I promise you it is worth every penny!
- Join a local running group. You can heck with your local running store fitness center and/or recreation department to find one. This will help to keep you motivated.
- Find a friend to run with. Knowing that they will be waiting for you at 5am will help to get your butt out of bed!
- Sign up for a race or set a goal! A race is a great way to keep going.
- Remember you won’t feel amazing on every run. Every runner has highs and lows. Even a bad run is better then no run at all.
- It gets easier, promise!
- Start a running blog and reader other running blogs to help you stay motivated.
- Add some fun music to your iPod to help you push through those tough days.
- HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE. Whether it be cold or hot always drink lot of water.
- On long runs make sure to eat something every hour.
- About 30 minutes to an hour before your run eat a piece of toast with peanut butter and honey or a banana.
- A cup of coffee is not a bad idea before a run (30 minutes before) but for some people it hurts their stomach. Listen to your body.
- To help with recover remember teat and drink is in the hour immediately after you run. A protein shake is a great recovery meal.
More to come….
Question: What are some your tips for beginner runners?