HAPPY TACO TUESDAY!
This mama has had a pretty exhausting weekend but coffee and green monsters are getting me through! RJ hasn’t been sleeping too well this week, partly because she had her 6 month shots and they gave her a fever and she just hasn’t been herself. I’m treasuring these late nights and doing my best to eat clean, workout, and stay hydrated. ‘Cause let’s be real, when your tired the one thing you don’t want to do is workout and SUGAR sounds so much better than a sexy salad!
I did ride a metric century this weekend (crazy I know) and got in my last double digit run for Boston! I will be posting all about that tomorrow!
Last week I made a SHRIMP SALAD on our “Taco Tuesday” and I just could not wait to share it with you all. I got this Honey, Lime and Tequila Shrimp recipe from Pinterest. I just changed a few things to make it a bit more healthy, without losing the amazing sweet and juicy flavor. I loved it so much that I have it on our menu for next week as well. I think I am going to try it with chicken next time.
For the honey lime tequila shrimp tacos
2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons raw honey
juice of 2 limes + 1 lime
1/2 cup tequila
1 medium onion, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle (optional)
2 avocados, diced
1/2 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
For the slaw dressing
1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice [about 2-3 limes]
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
sea salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup light, neutral oil, such as grapeseed
For the chipotle crema
1 cup (250 ml) fat free or low fat greek yogurt
1 to 2 pieces of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce [canned]
a handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- Wash, peel, devein, and dry raw shrimp. Season with salt.
- In a bowl, combine honey, lime juice, tequila, onion, cumin, and chipotle powder (if using). Mix well and toss shrimp into the marinade. Chill up to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat pan on stove.
- Cook shrimp until bright or just opaque (about 2 minutes each side). Flip the shrimp and cook for another 2 minutes or until they turn bright orange. Set cooked shrimp aside.
- Dice the avocados and squeeze juice from the remaining 1 lime.
- Thinly slice the red cabbage or green cabbage using a sharp knife or a mandolin.
- To make the dressing for the red cabbage slaw, put the lime juice, Dijon mustard, sea salt, pepper, and oil in a jar or bowl. Whisk vigorously until it emulsifies.
- Toss the red cabbage with the lime vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the chipotle crema, place the chipotles in the bowl of the food processor and give it a good whirl until it is smooth.
- Stir in the greek yogurt, mixing well until the color is even.
Assemble: Put a plate down and pile on a big bed of mixed greens. Then top with the coleslaw, avocado, and shrimp. Drizzle the cream sauce on top and ENJOY!
LOVE GROWN GIVEAWAY WINNER!!!
Thanks for all the wonderful entries, I hope you get a chance to go try them! Ok, the winner is….Heather @fitncookies!!!! Please email me your address and your prize will be shipped to you.
Question: What is your favorite way to cook shrimp?