Who else is excited about fall?! I know I sure am. Ok, the weather in Southern California is still in the 90’s, but I can pretend it’s cooling down right? Thought I would kick off this beautiful fall week with some super yummy Pumpkin muffins. Not just any pumpkin muffins, but healthier (but still taste amazing) muffins. I haven’t played enough around with coconut or gluten free flour, but I bet you could replace the all purpose flour with a GF flour. I am gonna give coconut flour a try next week! Did I mention they have NO OIL and no cane sugar?
Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip MuffinsServes:Â 12 or 16 in my caseÂINGREDIENTS
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Love Grown SuperÂ oatmeal (or whatever oats you have on hand)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (or throw in the whole can I did)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened all-natural applesauce (or oil)
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons-I used non dairy, non soy chocolate chips
- Extra oatmeal, for sprinkling on muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with paper cups or spray with nonstick spray. If you use muffin cups, make sure to spray the inside of the cups.
- In a large bowl mix flour, oatmeal, pumpkin pie spice baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. In a separate bowl combine pumpkin, mashed banana, honey, almond milk, egg whites and applesauce. Add the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture and stir to combine. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full so that each is even. Sprinkle a tiny bit of oatmeal over each top of the muffins. Place into the oven and bake for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean. Muffins are best served warm. Reheat in the microwave for 20 seconds and spread with topping of your choice!
*These pair perfect with a big cup of pumpkin spice black coffee! These would also make a great gift for a friend in need 😉
Question: What is your favorite pumpkin baking recipe? Leave the link to the recipe in the comments and I will do a round up on the blog!Â
September 30, 2015 at 8:37 am
These muffins look SO delicious!! I love the pumpkin and chocolate chip combo. 🙂 This type of recipe is probably my favorite pumpkin recipe!