Evening fellow lovers of life! Tonight I have been one busy lady 🙂
First check out how work went. YES lots and lots of SNOW!!!
As soon as I walked in the door I threw on my sneakers and did my 10 minute interval blast! I needed to warm and get moving.
I couldnâ€™t do all the lunges because my legs said NO, but I widdled away my middle :).
Tonight I couldnâ€™t wait to make dinner tonight it was the perfect time for some comfort food. One of my favorite comfort meals is Shepherds Pie, but with all the butter and fat I never eat it anymore, until NOW!
Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd’s Pie (Adapted from Rachel Ray)
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups veggie broth
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- One 10-ounce box frozen peas
- 1/3 ripe banana, sliced
- A few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
In a large saucepan, combine the sweet potatoes and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until tender, 15 minutes. Drain and set aside, reserving the pot.
While the sweet potatoes cook, preheat the oven to 425Â°. In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over high heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking up with a spoon. Stir in the onion, carrots, and poultry seasoning. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the turkey broth and season with salt, pepper and the Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for a few minutes until thickened, then stir into the turkey mixture. Stir in the peas and remove from the heat.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the sweet-potato pot and melt over medium-low heat. Add the sweet potatoes and banana; season with salt, pepper and the hot sauce and mash until combined.
Top the turkey with the sweet potato mixture and smooth the top. Cover the sweet potatoes with the cheddar and bake until the cheese is completely melted, about 5 minutes.
In the pot
Mash it all up!
Top it off!
Check out the layers!!!
With some sparkling POMEGRANITE water!
After dinner I made some of Hangry Pants Banana Oat Muffins, to take to work tomorrow. From the minute I saw this recipe I have been dying to make these!
Banana Oat Muffins
- 3/4 C Old Fashioned Oats
- 3/4 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/4 C Ground Flax
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 3 small frozen bananas
- 1/4 C Light Agave
- 1 T Coconut Oil
- 1 8oz. container of Plain Fat Free Oikos
- Make oat flour by putting the oat in a food processor until they are a grainy flour consistency.
- Add the oat flour to the whole wheat pastry flour, flax, baking soda and salt.
- Put the bananas in the food processor and blend until they are creamy.
- Add the Greek yogurt, agave and coconut oil to the banana mixture.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Scoop into greased muffin tins (I used Natureâ€™s Promise Organic Cooking Spray) and cook at 325* for about 20 minutes.
I could have just eaten the batter!!!!
I loved that our whole house smelled scrumptious!
Making muffins in a mini pan makes them a lot more fun to eat!
I enjoyed my muffin with a cup of Hot Coco with added Peppermint Extract!
Another festive cup, oh believe me I have MORE!
Time to watch The Biggest Loser Finale!!! These people are AMAZING!