Quote of the day: â€œA smile is a light in the window of the soul indicating that the heart is at home.â€ – Anonymous
Itâ€™s good to be home. I slept in until 8 and woke up a bit groggy, but felt super rested 🙂
I went straight into the kitchen and fixed myself a bowl of pumpkin oats!
- 1/3 cup regular oats, 1/3 cup almond milk, 1/3 cup cider
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8th tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- 1 tbsp PB
Those arenâ€™t bugs in my oats, there CHIA SEEDS! I finally jumped on the band wagon and bought some. I wasnâ€™t sure what the health benefits were so I found some great information online: source
- Chia seeds contain some 20% protein, 30% oil and 25% dietary fibers which can be eaten as raw or in prepared dishes.
- Raw chia seeds are full of dietary fibers that increase the water content in the intestines, which eventually eases defecation.
- Chia seeds contain both soluble and insoluble fibers. The seeds are coated with soluble fibers while the exterior of the seeds contain the insoluble fibers. Soluble fibers are required for gelling action to keep the colon hydrated and the insoluble fibers are required for the bulk movement of undigested materials through the colon.
- In this way, chia seed prevent diverticulitis, which is an inflammatory colon disease that occurs due to inappropriate movement of food materials through the colon.
Chia seeds help the body maintaining the optimum level of fluid and electrolytes.
The seeds also help in reducing body weight by preventing the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar. In additions, Chia seeds contain magnesium and boron which aid the absorption of calcium. In this way, the seeds help in maintaining the bone mass by retaining calcium level â€“ staggeringly containing more calcium than that of milk.
Chia seeds also contain two times the amount of potassium than banana.
Chia seeds are very good sources of antioxidants.
Chia seeds contain 20% protein which is a good source of energy. Taking chia seeds regularly can provide a considerable amount of energy which can prevent day time tiredness.
Lets hope they give me a TON of energy for the day!
I have some really fun recipes and guest posts for you all this week so stay tuned!
P.S. I saved $12 this week with the envelope system!!!