I am so grateful to all the wonderful ladies that are sponsoring me in this race. I am not sure what I am more excited about running or meeting some amazing ladies?!
Here are some great tips about what to do the week before a marathon:
- Cut mileage to about one-third of normal during your final week before the marathon. Keep your normal pace for the most part. Slowing too much can alter your stride or make you feel sluggish.
- Give your muscles a chance to rest and skip your strength-training routine in the final week before your marathon. You won’t get the benefits from it until after the marathon anyway.
- Eat a diet rich in complex carbohydrates (whole-grain breads, pasta, and cereals), and drink plenty of fluids. In the week before your marathon, about 65-70% of your calories should come from carbs. Avoid alcoholic beverages since they have a dehydrating effect and can also interfere with your sleep.
- Take at least one or two days off during marathon week. Some people prefer to take off the two days before the race, while others will take off Friday before a Sunday marathon and do a very easy 20 to 30-minute run the day before the race to work out last-minute nerves.
- As race day approaches, you’re likely to be stressed and irritable. Stay relaxed and confident, and know that pre-race nerves are normal. Try to avoid stress-inducing activities or situations. (For example, don’t go to the DMV in the week before your marathon!) Start practicing some methods to deal with pre-race anxiety.
- I am glad I read this, because I never thought about not doing my strength training the week before! I plan on running 3-4 days easy but not slow.
Do you have any tips you would like to share??
Who out there is running a marathon this weekend??